As the Director for Educational Technology, Co-director of the Study Abroad in Greece Program, the former Graduate Program (MBA) Director for the College of Business (MBA and MSTM programs) at Stony Brook University and former President of Trac Line Software, (an international software company that I founded in 1980) I have been involved with developing and planning a variety of systemic activities for large and small enterprises (refer to client list). These experiences have allowed me to purse my interest in managing and crafting technological innovation while seamlessly integrating it into a business. Understanding how the technology can be embedded into the workflow and the overall benefits that will accrue require a systemic approach to the process and end results. This systemic methodology has converged into a philosophy I call the TPI/E™ Philosophy; Thinking, Planning, Implementing and Executing. The TPI/E™ Philosophy is further discussed at TPIEPhilosophy.com for now suffice it to say it is a framework that assists management in successfully preparing an effort to achieve desired results.
Irrespective of the nature of the enterprise (for profit, not for profit, state agencies, classrooms, healthcare, etc.) there are always a series of activities being performed in the delivery of corporate products and services. These activities or processes, at some point will be changed. This can be due to new technology, new strategic direction, competition, etc. In all cases the end result should be an enhancement or improvement of the processes being modified. Therefore, having a framework to follow that provides a guideline to conceive, design, implement and then execute these changes will be very helpful.
For example, a typical problem in business and academia is the integration of technology into the learning process. The IT staff procures the latest and greatest hardware and software yet the users (Faculty) continue to employ their "tried and true' methods often ignoring the superior tools available. Using the TIP/E™ Philosophy one can prevent this situation from arising by ensuring the successful acceptance of the change and the integration into the working environment in a timely and efficient manner.
We see many cases where great intentions result in disastrous outcomes. Just as our predecessors might have hesitated to employ the first telephone systems or fax machines in time, they became ubiquitous within the environment. Consider, it was less than 30 years ago that the Internet of today was widely viewed by many as an unknown entity. Look at how it has become part of almost every aspect of our inter-communications. In fact, I wrote a book on the topic 10 years ago 'Communicating in a Digital World'. The insight to see the benefits of innovations, to visualize the activity that will take place, to systemically conceive of the entire activity will minimize the uncertainty and reduce the risk & cost. This is the primary goal of the TPI/E™ Philosophy.
There are many other activities that would benefit from the TPI/E™ Philosophy, creating effective business communiques, managing a project, business plans, developing corporate culture, crafting a company vision, implementing business process change, integrating data collection systems, crafting business strategy, even storytelling to name just a few.
If you are interested in pursuing it's applicability in your evironment please feel free to contact me. Additonal web sites supporting the TPI/E™ Philosophy are as follows:
- TPI/EManagement.com - Discusses the philosophies benefits to management, managing vertical industries and strategy. This site offers an alternative to having a textbook in a Business Strategy or Business Planning course..
- SyncAsyncClasses.com - This site discusses Synchronous online courses and Asynchronous material. Various software products are employed in the discussion.
- SyncAsyncBusiness.com - This site discusses Synchronous online activities and Asynchronous material that a business may use to interact with their customers. Various software products are employed in the discussion.
- ModernPM.net - Employing the methodolgies of the philosophy to start and successfully complete projects. This site offers an alternative to a textbook in teaching Project Management.
- GreatPresentations.Biz - This site goes through the 12 steps to create an effective communique using the NPD Framework which is based on the TPI/E™ Philosophy.
- TPI/Ephilosophy.com - Discusses the general concept of the philosophy.
- SyncAsyncDesigns.com - This site links to an online video that reviews various activities a business can offer their customers.
- 4COBOL.xyz - A discussion on the value of COBOL knowledge.
- GoInLearn.com - Study Abroad in Greece Summer Program. Learn about the various summer courses available in Athens, Greece..